Scripture: Mark 9:14-29 and Matthew 17:14-21
Does it feel like something is different right now? Granted, this is not the first time you have wrestled with challenges in your life. The fact that you have experienced challenges in the past makes you uniquely qualified to recognize that something may be different “this” time. Our key verse points out the distinction, Jesus said, “This kind goes out, by nothing except prayer and fasting.” As we will learn, Jesus is distinguishing between a “this” kind and “that” kind of situation.
That is the goal of the first week, to help discover the signs and evidence that “this kind” of moment in your life requires a different response. Therefore, it is in our best interest to quickly identify the “this kind” of situation and develop the tools to tackle a “this kind” of moment. It’s time to level up! The good news is that Jesus gives the answer to us and the disciples in our Biblical passage, “This kind goes out, by nothing except prayer and fasting.”
I sincerely believe that most of what we go through is not about us, but it is only evidence that God trusts us. Did you know God has confidence in you— confidence that you will not only go through it, but you will get through it with a testimony to help someone else on their journey. But remember, your testimony can only come after a test. I know it doesn’t feel like it right now, but a test is a good thing, because you cannot advance to the next level until you have passed the test. Let me be one of the first to say congratulations on the next level in your life! Over the next 40 days you will be equipped through the power of prayer and fasting to pass any spiritual test in life!
My most recent test is the purpose behind the 40 days of prayer and fasting. It was during this test that I had to not just preach and teach our Biblical story, but I believe I had to live the story of a “This Kind” of moment. A moment when things were different so they required a different response!
CPR Kit for the Soul:
- Centering Theme: Something feels different about this moment, so I want to center myself and settle my spirit by a) being still; b) taking deep breathes to relax; and c) seek the Lord in prayer. I can enter this test with confidence, because my test is a sign that God trusts me!
- Prayer Topic: Dear Lord, am I going through a preparatory test? If so, please reveal to me everything I need to learn through this test, so I am ready for the next level in my life.
- Reflection Thought: Am I willing to do something different in order to get a different result?
T3 Prayer Booster:
- Dear Lord, I am praying for clarity about “this” moment, because something feels different. Please fill me with the courage, discipline, and the will to do something different, because I realize I can’t keep doing things the same way . . .
- Lord, I humbly ask that you will realign my thinking and change my perspective about what I am going through right now, it is only a test and evidence that You think more of me than I possibly think of myself, and for that I am thankful . . .
- Lord, please help me pass this test and receive every lesson you have for me through prayer and fasting, because I’m ready for the next level . . .