Scripture: Luke 11:2-4; Matthew 6:9-13
Life has a way of hitting you with unexpected punches at times. These are the moments when you may feel spiritually dazed and discombobulated. I was there during my recovery process of and regaining my full neurological functions, but one thing that saved the day was that I had committed to memory the Model Prayer of Jesus. When I couldn’t think of anything else, I called on the name of Jesus, pleaded the blood of Jesus, and recited the Model Prayer, to pray my way through.
At first glance, without the historical context, the disciples request may seem a little unusual. The disciples seem to invoke a hint of competition with the request, teach us to pray as John taught his disciples to pray. But it was not that unusual of a request, because it was the tradition of a rabbi or teacher to teach their disciples a model prayer.
If we are indeed disciples of Jesus, we too should take to heart the Model Prayer of Jesus. On my journey I began to reinvestigate this simple but dynamic and profound prayer to inform my prayer life. Prayers are like keys, each key opens a different door, but think of this prayer as a Master Key that unlocks several doors within the metaphorical house of prayer. The next four days we will go into detail about the Model Prayer structure:
- Adoration and Worship
- The Kingdom of God
- Forgiveness of Ourselves and Others
- Guidance and Deliverance from Evil
CPR Kit for the Soul:
- Centering Theme: If I was to find myself at a loss for words, do I know scriptures and prayers that I have committed to memory?
- Prayer Topic: Pray that God will give you revelation about how to apply the Model Prayer to your personal prayer life.
- Reflection Thought: If I am a disciple of Jesus, at a minimum can I commit the Model Prayer to memory?
T3 Prayer Booster:
- Dear Lord, please grant me the memory to develop a repository of prayers and scriptures that I can call on in times of trouble.
- Lord, as I dig deeper into understanding the Model Prayer, please show me the points of personal application, because I realize that I cannot get revelation without application.
- Father God You know my heart’s desire to be a better disciple. Help me to commit the Model Prayer to memory and other faith building tools for my journey.